Today is my father's birthday and my brothers and sister planned a whole day of activities for both him and my mom. I am taking this moment before my day starts to tell you a bit about my father.
Decoroso "Dick" Balmes
He was born the eldest of their family, hard working, loyal to my mom and very family oriented.
Growing up we were never really close, not as close as a father to a son would be but it was more about me than him. I always hated the times where he would tell me to do the dishes, change the light bulbs, clean the car, give the dogs a bath, and a whole lot of things. I disliked how he took me with him when he visited his side of the family because I hated traveling by land. Selfish right? I wont deny it. At the end of the day the reason why our relationship is that way is still because me and what I am. I'll save that for another day. :)
Despite everything I actually learned a lot and i will always be thankful. Let me tell you how my father shaped me to be the person I am today. I will list down a few things my father taught me both directly and indirectly.
- The kitchen should always be clean. If i can remember it correctly, my cousin Twinkle taught my how to wash dishes but my father taught me that before I go to bed every night I should was the dishes or clean up after my self
- How to change a light bulb. A bonding moment we shared hahaha. I know all it needs is common sense when changing a light bulb but to tell you honestly, a lot of people doesn't know how to change a light bulb
- Delivering puppies. My dad showed me how to assist a pregnant dog during delivery and I've done it several times now on my own
- Compassion towards animals. My dad is a Veterinarian so it gave me access to animals growing up
- Respect towards Family
- How not fighting back is the bravest thing you can sometimes do
- Balancing and being equal to both sides of the family is more important than taking sides
- Traditions should always be honored
- Quit Smoking
- How loving something you hate because the people you treasure most loves them is more important that hating them at all
- Letting go of negativity is helpful
- Always following your dreams
- Always support your kids no matter what they choose to be
- Never let go of the "kid" in you
and a whole lot more. I am who I am because they trusted my decision of who i wanted to become. We may not be the typical family who talks about sex openly, or continues to go to church religiously or the type of family that says i love you or sorry all the time but our family dynamics work for us. And it'll mature more in the coming years. I strongly believe that both my father and mother played a strong role in that.
To my father, who have always been there for me and the family. I salute, respect and love you, you and mom. Always. I know I will make a great father one day because I have you as role model.
Have a great day today and the coming years.